Sunday, September 8, 2013

Dream On ♡ (written last September)

        "You, you may sayI'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." John Lennon

  In February, I turn 27 years old. I am getting married next summer. I have, by these examples, ceremoniously entered womanhood. Yet, I still catch myself wondering who I will become when I grow up.

           My physical age is defined as adult. My girlish looks are slowly changing. Every morning, I wake up and notice subtle changes that gradually etiolate my young, dancer body. I still teach dance to children, and as we warm up I feel my joints and muscles slowing down, unable to effortlessly flex and stretch through the positions. When I look in the mirror, I see a grown up looking back.

           My mental age per contra is somewhere in the late teens/early twenties. I'm old enough to understand the responsibilities that weigh on me. I refuse to leave a job that is not a good fit for me because it offers me the security of a salary and benefits. I have bills to pay. However, I am young enough to daydream, stary eyed, about what adventure will come next.

            My daydreams are never connected to this reality. I picture myself writing novels and traveling the world; with no proximate stepping stones towards achieving these goals. I dream big, but live steady. I work for an insurance company. I teach dance in the evenings. I chip away at a Master's degree. I plan short vacations when time allows. I don't throw everything into a suitcase, quit my job, and travel West to write the American novel. Even though that sounds fantastic to me. But for now, I am a worker bee- at least my body is. My mind is elsewhere. I have not resolved to believe, this is it. This is who I've become. 

         The point of this article is to deliberate on whether holding on to a bigger dream is a healthy optimistic choice or a disillusioned distraction.  I'll argue both sides; as I have many times before in the privacy of my own journals. 
 OPTIMISTIC CHOICE
         Dreams create pathways. They shape our decisions. They inspire drive.  Imagining new possibilities cultivates an active mind and  optimistic disposition. A recent study published in the Archives of Neurology indicated that active use of your brain may deter the onset of Alzhemier's. They were indicating the benefits of learning, using puzzles, and socializing. These activities decrease the natural  pruning of our synapses that occur due to inactivity. But what motivates a person to stay mentally active? I would argue, dreams. Its the hopefulness that tomorrow you one step closer to achieving your goal.  Dreams create purpose. The purpose is to achieve the dream.
        Achieving a dream can lead to fulfillment, life satisfaction, and happiness.  In February of this year, A 101 year old man, Fauja Singh, completed a 10 kilometer marathon because it made him happy. He attributed being able to complete this wild feat purely to his mental will. 

He was qouted by CNN saying, "It's because of the happiness I get out of it. If something makes you happy, you'll do it well." 

But, what if holding onto your dreams does not necessarily guarantee happiness...
DISILLUSIONED DISTRACTION
We've all met the man or woman who talks a big game, but has no substance to back his or her words. Some people live hopelessly stuck in a loop. They have the creativity to imagine a better life for themselves. They have the direction that points them towards who they wish they could become. But, they either don't have the resources (or more commonly) are too bound by fear to take action towards bringing their dreams to fruition. So, without taking action their dreams dangle in front of them. Unattainable. 
Life satisfaction is based on appreciation and expectations. Chasing a dream may distract from appreciating the blessings that are currently abundant.Comparing the dream to the reality may cause the reality to appear not good enough. If the dream is never achieved does the person die with regret? 
My late grandmother talked about owning her own farm in Michigan until the week she died. She lived in a suburban community in Pennsylvania, but she loved cows and she loved snow. Her heart was North on an imaginary Dairy Farm. I remember worrying that she did unfulfilled, never having lived on that farm. But, as a beloved member of our family, who passed surrounded by love, did the dream matter? Unfortunately, I didn't ask. 

The conclusion I've come to is, dreams are positive catalysts AND coping mechanisms. Catalysts when paired with action. Coping mechanisms when applied only as distractions. 

Most importantly, dreams are an enduring piece of our souls carried from our childhood to the grave. A part of us that can not be weathered by age, but merely fine tuned from our experiences. Dreams are immortal. 

No comments: